Friday, February 24, 2012

COMIC: Top of the Stack - Voodoo #6 (Review)

Writer: Joshua Williamson
Artist: Sami Basri
Cover: John Tyler Christopher

Publisher: DC Comics
Price: $2.99

One of the things that always excites me when it comes to that time in the week to read through my stack of comic books is finding that title I have been hoping would come around and wow me finally do just that. I would say about half of my stack is usually filled with series that are not exactly my favorites but I find something interesting about them and am waiting for that issue to prove my investment right.

That happened this week when VOODOO #6 decided for me that it would end up at the top of my stack when it was all said and done. VOODOO is a book filled with characters I was not familiar with at all prior to the new DC 52 since it used to be a Wildstorm book, and while I find myself learning on the go and still getting lost now and then, it has been a fun adventure to follow with visually unique characters.

The creative team consists of writer Joshua Williamson, who joined the title last issue replacing the writer of VOODOO's first four issues, Ron Marz. Williamson has been writing for DC an UNCHARTED mini-series based on the video game series of the same name, as well as XENOHOLICS for Image Comics. On art since the book's launch is Sami Basri, who most recently drew POWER GIRL - one of the main reasons I continued to read that book after the creative team change.

In this issue, the recently revealed to be a clone, Voodoo, continues her chase of the truth while the original is still imprisoned in a high security facility that is currently under attack by one of the more intriguing characters, Black Jack. Voodoo is seeking an audience with the war council on the Daemonite spaceship where intel missions to Earth have been going on with alien agents while the original needs her own use of aggression to break out of the situation she is in.

Any time Basri is on art, the pages are guaranteed to be gorgeous to look at and the interiors of VOODOO have not disappointed. Like staying on POWERGIRL, it was Basri's involvement on the book that helped keep it in my reading stack while I struggled with getting a hold on the story and characters. And I am glad I stayed with it because now that the story is developing, the fantastic designs of the characters and panels just makes it a breeze to read.

I am excited to see where this book goes with the story. That the original Voodoo goes from one imprisonment to another for her 'safety', it definitely feels like her life is in a whirlwind and that does not even take into account the clone that is going around doing her own thing. If there is one thing I like to embrace is a comic book that does things differently and I definitely feel that way with VOODOO.

Look to buy the VOODOO #6 digital comic on Comixology for $1.99

No comments:

Post a Comment