Friday, April 27, 2012

COMIC: Top of the Stack - All-Star Western #8 (Review)

Writer: Justin Gray & Jimmy Palmiotti
Artist: Moritat
Cover: Jose Ladronn

Publisher: DC Comics
Price: $3.99

It might seem a little strange for people that know me to see ALL-STAR WESTERN #8 reach the top of my stack this week. I was not a regular reader of the JONAH HEX series that preceded it, and outside an issue here and there or an appearance on an animated DC property I was not entirely that familiar with the cowboy vigilante, Jonah Hex.

I am familiar however with the creative writing team of Justin Gray & Jimmy Palmiotti. Their run on POWERGIRL a few years back was such an entertaining ride and made a supporting character capable of carrying her own solo book.

They have been attached to Jonah Hex for even longer and when the New 52 relaunch was going to remake the JONAH HEX title into ALL-STAR WESTERN, it seemed like the perfect time to jump aboard and give it a try.

This issue has Hex continue his attempted infiltration of the anti-immigrant terrorist group, August 7. He impresses with his fight against Z.C. but the flaw in the plan is revealed to be Doctor Arkham, leaving Hex in over his head.

The art by Moritat complements the story, where the terrifying can look so, the action can look fluid, and each character can look unique from the others.

When it comes to reading books where I do not have an attachment to the main characters, sometimes I find myself drawn to the supporting characters that pop up in the story. Like with ALL-STAR WESTERN, I am enjoying the fighting gal, Z.C. Branke that was introduced in the previous issue and has an entanglement with Hex in this one. I also love the backup stories that have been attached to the book starring Wild West heroes Nighthawk & Cinnamon.

Action, danger, fun. Every time an issue can deliver on each of those you know you are in for something special and the potential is there whenever I pick up ALL-STAR WESTERN. Westerns might not be your thing but I think the uniqueness of Hex, and his current involvement with aspects of Gotham City back in the Wild West is as amazing as it sounds.

Look to buy the ALL-STAR WESTERN #8 digital comic on Comixology for $2.99

No comments:

Post a Comment