Friday, May 11, 2012

COMIC: Top of the Stack - Avenging Spider-Man #7 (Review)

Writer: Kathryn Immonen
Artist: Stuart Immonen
Cover: Stuart Immonen

Publisher: Marvel Comics
Price: $3.99

Returning to review comic books from week to week has let me learn things about myself I had forgotten about. Like deep down I have this innate want to enjoy Spider-Man that got buried after the One More Day event years ago.

Yet I am rediscovering my like of the wall crawler because when I read this week AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #7, I had so much fun it nearly blew away all of the other competition for the top of my stack.

I did not realize that writing the issue was Kathryn Immonen until I had finished and looked at the credits and then my joy made sense. One of my favorite runs over the last few years was the 2008 five issue mini-series, PATSY WALKER: HELLCAT, which had been written by Immonen as well.

This was my first issue reading AVENGING SPIDER-MAN, but the team-up aspect of the series is very appealing and makes it easy to jump on and read. And when I saw that She-Hulk would be the one crossing paths with Spider-Man, I knew I had to read the story, SHE-HULK being one of my favorite solo books to read back during Dan Slott's run on the title.

The one positive to take away from the Spider-Man marriage retcon is making stories like this possible, where Spider-Man can be harping on She-Hulk to be her date to a Museum exhibit opening and it not being weird.

While everything did not go smoothly, I did love the interaction between the two, where She-Hulk brought the brawn and seriousness and Spider-Man had the brains and wit. I think it will take more than one night to win her over, I definitely hope they get to team-up again.

Whenever there is a female character that is going to be in a dominant amount of pages in a book, I pray that there is a good artist around to properly present her. And there are few better than Stuart Immonen, who I greatly enjoyed his run on Ultimate Spider-Man and here he was able to do wonderful panels of Spider-Man action along with keeping She-Hulk her statuesque self.

Two things I love are one and done stories, and team-ups, so having a title with someone so flexible as Spider-Man being put together with other characters really calls to me. Of course it will be hard to beat a creative team like the Immonens but I am open to seeing who else can bring it to the AVENGING SPIDER-MAN plate.

Look to buy the AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #7 digital comic on Comixology for $3.99

No comments:

Post a Comment